If you are using the CGM features of your pump, you can see your glucose levels 24 hours a day. The pump, when combined with the Guardian™ 2 Link transmitter and the New Generation Enlite™ glucose sensor, wirelessly transmits readings to your MiniMed® 640G. The readings are updated every five minutes and appear on the screen in colour. These regular updates can give you a clear understanding of how your glucose is behaving and reduce your dependence on fingersticks. You only need to change your glucose sensor every 6 days.
The advantages of CGM over traditional fingersticks and HbA1c testing are well-documented. Research has shown that:
- 60% of glucose lows may not be revealed with fingersticks alone
- CGM identifies four times as many serious glucose excursions as self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG)
- CGM can significantly reduce HbA1c and has been shown to reduce HbA1c levels by up to 1% when compared with fingerstick testing alone
- CGM is proven to be accurate in numerous published studies enabling you to make therapy adjustments based on reliable data
HOW CAN IT BENEFIT ME?
The anecdotal and real-life stories from patients using CGM are overwhelming and includes:
- Parents who can relax and no longer feel that they have to check on their child through the night
- Sports enthusiasts and students who can concentrate on competing or taking their exams without worrying
- People with busy work lives who can be as busy as they like and get on with their day-to-day activities with less anxiety
- Women who are pregnant or are thinking about becoming pregnant
CGM has given people insights that they have never had before. With the establishment of the National Institutes for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidance for pump therapy, access to CGM is improving every day. NICE has also published guidance on continuous glucose monitoring in adults & children. Take a look at these so you can discuss this fully with your healthcare team.